From:
Brett Saks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Oct 1998 06:52:52 -0700
I am not sure about the "evolutionary development" of cravings, but many of
them in a western diet are due to allergic reaction...people often crave
foods that are most detrimental to them...

a snip from my article:  http://www.mindspring.com/~drbsaks/fa.html

Something else really worth mentioning and something that really puzzled me
for quite some time is the commonly asked question "why are we so attracted
to the foods which we are most sensitive to?" In fact, the problem foods
are usually not "attractive", they are CRAVINGS! A good friend of mine and
a lifetime medical pediatric allergist explained it to me this way: when we
consume a food or beverage that we are allergic or intolerant to, the body
produces immunoglobulins and other immune system components to combat the
offending proteins. Well, the body does not make EXACTLY the right amount
of immune "compliment" to ward off the antigens. It works more on a
negative feedback loop much like insulin...one the invaders are reduced or
eliminated, the immune system begins to slow and eventually stop its
reaction. As consequence to the whole
event, there may be excess compliment throughout the body with no antigen
to fight. What this means is now the excess immune compliment can make us
feel sick and we begin to crave the offending food... the offending food
actually becomes a MEDICINE, in that eating it can reduce the immune
compliment and make us less symptomatic. I guess this can also explain
kicking an addictive drug such as alcohol, tobacco or heroin. Going "cold
turkey" can produce a lot more symptoms but works quicker than a gradual
cutback of the addictive chemical. In fact, I have had patients that I have
found to be A/I/S to certain food(s), removed it from their diet an they
actually had withdrawal symptoms. They would have shakes, cramping,
headaches and severe cravings. I usually had them use a little of the
offending food a time or two in small quantities to reduce the reaction.
Pretty amazing!

Brett Saks, DC
Holistic Chiropractor
2121 S. Mill Ave. Suite 109-B