From:
James Crocker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Oct 1998 22:54:36 -0500
On 10/03/98 16:02:26 you wrote:

>>When cooking came up, without any pots or pans, frying and boiling was
not
>>possible, maybe meats have just been hung over the fire.
>
>In addition you can cook meat on spits, you can heat up rocks and then
put
>with the food, and then liquid foods can be put in animal bladders and
hung
>over the fire.

The best water-tight containers are made out of clay.  Also, rawhide,
weaved baskets, filling a wet rawhide pouch with sand and letting it dry,
and from stomachs and bladders as Don mentioned.  Another way to make
pots, cups, plates, bowls, ladels, spoons, and other items out of wood by
a burning and gouging process.

You take a dry piece of wood, place some hot coals on it, and let them
burn down.  Blow on the coals a little, or use a hollow reed or other
plant stalk to direct the air.  This makes some burn marks on the wood
that you gouge out with a tool.  Indians made carving implements from
beavers teeth, or slightly curved pieces of flint rock bound to a wooden
handle.  Repeat the process until the wood is the shape you want it.  It
doesn't take that long, from what I hear.  Large items like canoes were
made this way as well.

To boil liquid in a container (like water), just drop in some very hot
rocks, as Don also mentioned.  I have done this and it works nicely.  A
baseball sized rock will bring to boil about a gallon of water.  Careful
about the rocks you put in the fire, make sure they are dry or they may
explode.  I have also experienced this :O

I have also fried hamburger on flat rocks over a campfire before.  Or,
skewer a fish to a stick and push it a little into the coals head down,
so it sticks straight up.  Also, many foods can just be put into the
fire, or buried under a fire.

Having said that, I must also say that I think raw food is healthier! :)

James Crocker
"Beautiful are the things we see.
More beautiful those we understand.
Much the most beautiful those we do