From:
Don Wiss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Aug 1998 01:39:46 -0400
Kathy Partridge asked:

>What exactly is Darwinian Medicine? I searched both archives but only found
>the briefest mention that didn't really tell me much.

From Amanda Hayward-Lester
Posted to the Celiac list

This is the idea that many of todays "diseases" result from the fact that
our bodies evolved for a particular set of environmental conditions (i.e.
the hunter gatherer lifestyle of the distant past). For anyone that is
interested I would strongly recommend a book, "Why we get sick" by Williams
and Nesse. Its a beautifully written, fascinating book that examines many
aspects of disease in the modern world, both "physical" and "mental". While
it doesn't specifically mention celiac disease, there is a large section on
food allergies and intolerances and celiac disease obviously fits right in
with the other arguments.

[end of quoted material]

I have wanted to start a mailing list on this subject, but I have yet to
recruit a public listowner for it. Like all my lists I recruit someone for
the day-to-day things. I then remain in the background handling the
technical issues.

I have not read the book. Ideally this list would have the authors
participating.

Don.