From:
Rick Strong <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Apr 1998 18:32:24 -0400
First, I am not disputing the validity of the paleo diet;  If, however, you
use a little imagination,  you may visualize well meaning parents providing
an overly restrictive diet by exclusion;  many of the optimum paleo foods
are expensive and/or difficult to obtain; e.g. range fed, antibiotic free
meat.  Lack of omega 3's could be a problem;  lack of micronutrients
available in higher qualities veggies and fruits could be a problem if a
"salad" is considered to be a bowl of iceberg lettuce;  R. Audette points
out in Neanderthin that "care must be taken not to replace suger with other
foods that are more natural but contain almost as much sugar as refined
products."   If a parent restricted fat and carbs, that would be an
imbalance.   My point in making the post was to urge those truly interested
in the diet to read the thoughtful literature on the subject before adopting
some "version" of it.     Your question was fair but I am not an expert:
merely concerned!  Your question contains an implication that I was
asserting that the paleo diet per se was problematic;  I did not say that
and I hope this clarifies what I thought was obvious.