From:
Kent Multer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Nov 1997 10:53:47 -0600
Hi folks --

I just went through the archives looking for more details on how to make
pemmican.  I found some info, but not everything I wanted to know; and I
found the conversation of a few months ago, where someone requested a more
complete recipe, pointing out that all previous ones had some gaps in them.
 Well, here's the essence of what I've gathered, with questions included on
the points that are still unclear -- maybe this will help us get the whole
picture.

INGREDIENTS
-----------

* Raw red meat.  Eye round roast is widely recommended.

QUESTION:  any other types of meat that you (anyone out there) especially
like?

* Suet:  this is a particular type of beef fat.  Other types will not work
correctly, so be sure you get the right stuff.

QUESTIONS:
 1.  Is "tallow" the same as suet, or is this a more generic term for
animal fat?
 2.  Also, what about lard?  Ray's recipe in the archive uses the words
"lard" and "tallow" as if they are equivalent; but in another message, he
said that lard is pork fat and will not work correctly.

* Flavorings (optional).  Salt, pepper, garlic, and dried fruit or nuts are
sometimes used.  One person recommended sage.  If using salt, go easy on it.

You will need about 60% meat, 40% suet -- these measurements are by weight,
after preparation.  If you have extra of either, you can save it for the
next batch.

PREPARING THE MEAT
------------------

Slice and dry as you would for jerky; it must be dry enough to break rather
than bend.  Break it up by hand or with a food processor.  Some people like
it powdered, some prefer a more granular texture.  Add the spices or other
flavorings, if any.

PREPARING ("rendering") THE SUET
--------------------------------

THIS is the part of the process about which there is the most confusion.
Apparently the idea is to remove the skins or rinds, as well as any water.

Cut the suet into small chunks, and heat it in a pan over LOW heat -- don't
let it get hot enough to smoke, as it may give the pemmican a bad taste.

The best explanation I found for this process was from Bob Baldwin on Oct.
30.  He wrote:

>This process take a while
>and you will end up with melted fat and brown globs of stuff (it's
>not a gross as it sounds).  Pour the whole works through a sieve into another
>pan (I got a large sieve at Target - it doesn't need to be giant) and
>discard the globs -- I use a coffee can. I then pu a couple of layers
>of cheese cloth in the sieve and filter the fat again.  Now you have the
>fat.

QUESTIONS:
 1. What about removing moisture?  Does it settle to the bottom of the pan,
so that it's easy to separate?  Or does it just boil or evaporate away?
 2. Ray's book says to "render" the suet twice -- "render" apparently means
the whole process of heat, filter, and cool.  Is twice really necessary?
(Bob doesn't think so, and the recipe in the archive doesn't call for it.)
Also, Ray, what sort of filter do you use?

FINAL PREPARATION
-----------------

Let the suet cool until it is cool enough to touch but still liquid.  Pour
it onto the meat slowly and mix it in until all the meat is "just
saturated" (Ray) or "about the consistency of fudge" (Bob).  Fill muffin
tins with it, or roll it out into a sheet and cut into cookie-size chunks.
When cool, it should be firm, although still a bit greasy to the touch; so
wrap it in foil, plastic, or something else that the fat won't soak
through.  Properly made, it should keep for years at room temperature.

Well, that's what I've been able to collect so far.  Please feel free to
answer any of the questions I've included, as well as correct any mistakes
and/or add additional suggestions; and I'll post an updated version soon.

Thanks!

                               /\    /|\
Kent Multer                   |\ \  / | |  HARDWARE - SOFTWARE - ANYWARE
                              |  \    | |  Magic Metal Productions
Email:  [log in to unmask]       |   \/| | |  P.O. Box 701895
http://www.dallas.net/~kent   | | \/| | |
                               \|/   \|/