From:
Karl McKinnon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Nov 1997 00:21:38 -0800
This is from a page on nootropics.

"Now would you believe that! Your breakfast is on the menu and it's a smart
drug. Well, sort of. Caffeine is used and claimed by many people to be the
only thing that gets them going in the morning, thus it is generally
considered to improve performance. What is not so often mentioned are the
side-effects of caffeine, namely that it makes its users anxious and
irritable. Caffeine is also very addictive and should be considered a drug
when taken as potent pills. Research on caffeine's benefits is divided: some
claim it improves performance while others proclaim it actually decreases
performance. What is for sure is that several million people swear by it
daily."

"If we leave the performance claims aside, the main source of caffeine for
most people - coffee - is really a poison: it messes up your digestion,
raises cholesterol levels, may cause severe withdrawal symptoms such as
migraines and with extensive use can lead to condition not all too different
from anxiety neurosis. So drink up your coffee boys and girls, see if I
care"

I should be starting cafeen suplimentation myself by next week or so, if I
can find the bottle of cafeen tabs I had a while back.  It's the one
nootropic that is both relitively cheep and best proven as a nmenonic
enhancer.  But, my main point is that nootropists won't even touch cofee,
and they deal with grey market stuff.