BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

BP - Telepathic chickens leave no traces.
Date:
Fri, 24 Apr 1998 12:06:53 EDT
In a message dated 4/24/98 7:32:25 AM EST, [log in to unmask] writes:

> Here in North Carolina, two years ago the state adopted the innovative
>  Chapter 9 -- Existing Building Code, though not without a lot of resistance
>  from the state Department of Insurance, which oversees code-related issues.

In January 1998, New Jersey adopted its new Rehabilitation SubCode for
Existing Buildings, including a special section on historic structures.  Until
your posting,we thought it was the first in the country, but it sounds like NC
beat us!  It would be interesting to know if there are, in fact, other state
rehab or building code revisions percolating or existing out there. Builders
loved it (it saves an expected $4000 per housing unit in rehab -- I think I
have that number right), and preservationists feel that it's an important step
forward in keeping historic fabric.

NJ's code ran into concerns about fire and safety, too, and there were some
revisions made to accommodate them in the final version.  There is great
effort being made to educate code officials and architects in how the new code
works.

I hadn't heard anything about moving it into a national building code, until
you mentioned it, Dan.  It would be great to know who is overseeing it, and
how far along they are.

Mary Krugman