BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Norm/Ilene Tyler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 29 Dec 1998 23:17:09 -0500
And then, of course, there is the facadectomy of our Art Moderne Bus
Station!  Larry is retired from the Historic District Commission, but I,
on the other hand, have one more meeting to go, and it is likely that
the applicant will come before us in January before I, too, can safely
retire from the controversial vote.  The applicant "needs" to demolish
the main part of the structure to be able to construct parking at the
lower level of the entire parcel, and will then reconstruct the facade
and front portion of the original design as part of the new first
floor.  I think it is at least as good as the Washington, D.C. solution,
but the integrity of the original structure is compromised.

I feel it is better to reconstruct a portion of the building on its
original site, than to move and/or reconstruct all of it on another
site.  There are lots of historic associations at the original site, and
its presence in the streetscape, and the appreciation of the facade by
both pedestrians and those in motor vehicles cruising by, is retained.

My position is open to criticism, for sure, especially from my spouse,
but there it is anyway.  Maybe I will change my mind when it comes to
the vote...that ought to scare the applicant, if he were on this
listserv...shhh!

Ilene