RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Tue, 16 Feb 1999 00:51:04 +0100
Hi Thomas,

Thomas E. Billings wrote:

> > Carol:
> > >(2) Don't the various things grouped under the common term "nuts"
> > >    actually come from different botanical groups?  Almonds, peanuts,
> > >    and cashews, for example, grow in such different ways.
> >

> Alan:
> >Whether legumes or whatever, they are all seeds (and delicious when
> >fresh and ripe in as far as "nuts" are concerned). Many people
> >forget that beans (also legumes) are also seeds.
>
> Tom:
> True, but Carol did not ask if they were all seeds. Her question
> was whether they were in the same botanical groups.

True...but I was rather reading between the lines because it sounded as
if she was looking for an excuse to eat one or two types of seeds.

> Alan:
> >COOKING??? So you reduce the enzyme inhibitors whilst at the
> >same time destroying the enymes and many vitamins??
>
> Tom:
> My answer was general. This list is for a wide variety of diets and
> preferences; it is not solely for the "obsessive/militant 100% raw"
> types.  Quite a few folks here eat some cooked food.

I am neither obsessive nor militant. People can eat what they like
for all I care. I am merely describing or answering questions on my
chosen type of diet. There are even people in here who eat raw
meat and I have never citicised this either...I merely pointed out
that it doesn't seem instinctive TO ME.

> Alan:
> >Why bother when the natural "self-protection" mechanism is known?
>
> Tom:
> Because some anti-nutrients actually increase when soaked and sprouted
> (canavanine - spelling may be bad - in alfalfa is an example). Other
> anti-nutrients are very heat resistant. One must look at the specific
> seed, and intended processing method (soaking, sprouting or even cooking)
> to have definitive answers. Simplistic generalizations - so common in
> raw - often leave much to be desired.

Then I think you should go into this aspect more deeply for the
benefit of those who want to know more. I personally have never
eaten (or wanted to eat as yet) soaked nuts, have stopped cooking
anything but I have sprouted seeds (including alfalfa but I stopped
doing it because the water always smelled terrible even though I
changed it each day) on occasion.

> Alan:
> What, pray Tom, should I need to know about nuts if you disregard the most
> important aspect, i.e. the enzyme inhibitors???
>
> Tom:
> Read it and you will find out.

Read what Tom?

Alan