Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
James Crocker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Aug 1998 19:48:17 -0500
(This was supposed to go out yesterday but it had too many lines...)

On 08/12/98 08:57:06 several people responded to my post:
>------------------------------
>I was on a calorie restricted diet a la Roy Walford's book The One
>Hundred Twenty Year Diet for about two or three years.

What did you eat in your diet?  That is 2-3 times longer than I have
been on mine.  BTW - the first 7 months of my CR diet was The Zone,
which follows the diet on this list pretty closely, doesn't it?

>I wish I could be on the CR diet because I believe intellectually
>that it is the only proven way to really have a statistically high
>chance of living a lot longer with fewer diseases.

CR is the only scientifically "proven" method shown to greatly extend
life.  Note, however, that it is new enough that no people practising
it have lived long enough to tell yet.  It has worked equally well for
all other animals, ranging from fish, water fleas, spiders, rats,
mice, to monkeys (although the monkey study may be a bit early to
prove much).  If you translated the most extreme restriction in the
rat studies to people, you could get 150-160 yrs.  BTW - this is
expected to be too extreme for people to handle, mentally.

>I think that the paleo WOE is also quite healthy and I anticipate
>avoiding a lot of those >diseases anyway.

YES.  This was my point in the message I posted, to show that Paleo
can also be a calorie restriction diet.  I am trying to eat Paleo, and
I think it can overlap with CR.  Excellent benefits can be had by
using Paleo, I believe.  Now, just exactly what is a Paleo diet?
Well, here we can get into some serious interpretations.  Mine follows
what Eaton suggests, heavy on the fibrous plants, fruits, and good fat
and protein sources (nuts, lean game, possibly fish).  To apply it to
CR, maybe a reduction on the fat and calories, but I think the
specific foods can be identical.

>--Richard
>-----------
>Here's a summary of a semi-starvation study,...The majority of the
>men ... reported experiencing feelings of calmness, serenity,
>peacefulness, sometimes euphoria as well as heightened mental
>clarity.
Yes.  This is common on CR.  I think alot has to do with the reduction
in blood glucose levels, which is found on a Paleo diet.

>Aaron Wieland

James
"I think there's a world market for
 about five computers."