Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Nieft / Secola <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Apr 1998 18:32:09 -1000
>> How do we get over this aversion to the gamey smell, and/or how can you mask
>> it with spices? Has anyone had any luck with game?

The animal must be dressed/butchered properly as well, especially males of
some species who have some macho scent glands which, if they aren't cut
away en todo, will "spoil" the meat with a very gamey flavor. Even so, wild
animals will taste different than farmed animals.

FWIW, when the locals here in Hawaii trap (live) a wild pig they consider
too small to bother with, they castrate them on the spot and turn em loose.
The idea is that the flavor of the meat will be better later on if they are
ball-less. Also they are supposed to get fatter w/o testicles. I asked what
happens if the wild pig tot is kept and fed as one might keep a
domesticated pig (which I had plans to do ;)) and was told that they take
"forever" to grow, that it's not worth  the trouble.

I think I'll need more than Ray's hawk to tackle the wild boar around here,
some of which are as big as a small bear with totally prehistoric tusks ;)
A brave fellow who first ate an oyster? I suspect that bravery was a bigger
deal when tackling a mastodon...

Cheers,
Kirt

Secola  /\  Nieft