BLIND-DEV Archives

Development of Adaptive Hardware & Software for the Blind/VI

BLIND-DEV@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dr Clyde Shideler <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
BLIND-DEV: Development of Adaptive Hardware & Software for the Blind/VI" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Apr 1998 14:21:11 -0800
     ASK THE ADVOCATES: About the ADA and the Texas Commission for the
                                   Blind

                              by Mark Richert

   PRELIMINARY NOTES

   In this issue of "Ask the Advocates," we discuss the basic process to
   use when filing complaints concerning employment discrimination under
   the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). Specifically, we pay
   particular attention to employment discrimination claims against state
   and local government entities, covered by Title II of the ADA.
   However, before looking at the process itself, I think it might be
   helpful for readers to have a "real world" illustration to use as a
   reference point. Unfortunately, the example is real and
   well-documented.

   As a result of a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request, ACB has
   obtained a copy of a Department of Justice (DOJ) "letter of findings"
   concerning instances of alleged discrimination by the Texas Commission
   for the Blind (TCB) against several of its employees who are blind or
   visually impaired. The letter of findings is an extensive document,
   outlining the specific circumstances that led to the filing of the
   complaint, the repeated attempts by DOJ to negotiate with TCB and
   settle the matter prior to the issuance of a letter of findings, and
   the recommended terms of settlement. DOJ began to investigate the
   initial complaint in October 1995. As it looked into the matter, DOJ
   expanded the scope of its investigation to include similar claims by
   other TCB employees.

   The letter of findings indicates that TCB failed to provide materials
   in accessible formats to the complainants who needed the materials to
   perform their jobs. Additionally, the letter discusses TCB's failure
   to allow the use of adaptive equipment by employees, as well as TCB's
   unreasonably sluggish responsiveness to meet the assistive technology
   needs of its blind employees. Perhaps most disturbingly, the letter of
   findings describes an environment, tolerated by TCB, in which at least
   one of its employees experienced harassment based on the employee's
   blindness. DOJ goes to great lengths in its letter of findings to
   point out that it has tried to work with TCB to resolve these
   complaints. Although the letter documents TCB's general cooperation
   with the investigation and its timely responses to requests for
   information, as of the writing of this column, December 15, DOJ
   attorneys have indicated to ACB that the matter remains "unresolved."

   The following are excerpts from DOJ's letter of findings, dated May 8,
   1997, to Pat D. Westbrook, TCB Commissioner. Please note that,
   although the letter of findings is a public document, names of
   complainants and others have been omitted by DOJ.

   * * *

   "... the Department finds that the Commission has policies or
   practices of failing to provide certain employee manuals and
   information in accessible formats (e.g. braille or audio tape)
   appropriate to the needs of individuals with disabilities and failing
   to ensure that necessary adaptive equipment is provided in a timely
   manner. Specifically, we find that TCB has failed to ensure the
   provision of personnel and counselor manuals in an accessible format
   appropriate to their employees' needs and caused employees with visual
   impairments to suffer unreasonable delays before being provided with
   necessary adaptive equipment. While it may be true that the Commission
   provides a substantial number of documents in accessible format to its
   employees, clients, and others, and also does provide many of its
   employees with adaptive equipment, the evidence also shows that the
   procedural requirements and bureaucratic delays necessary to obtain
   these accommodations effectively denies at least some of its blind or
   visually impaired employees necessary accommodations.

   In addition, when accommodations are provided, the Commission does not
   follow-up or engage in an interactive process and individualized
   assessment with at least some of its blind or visually impaired
   employees to determine if the accommodation provided actually meets
   those employees' needs. The evidence demonstrates that the
   Commission's failure to provide manuals in an accessible format
   extends to other blind or vision impaired employees other than those
   mentioned here.

   The Department also finds that these problems and others are
   compounded by TCB's policy or practice of failing to adequately
   address employee grievances or even to allow adequate access to
   information about grievance procedures and other personnel matters.
   For instance, TCB's failure to properly address [Complainant's]
   complaints of harassment by [TCB staff] over several months allowed
   [TCB staff] to harass [Complainant] without fear of discipline,
   thereby making [Complainant's] work conditions unbearable." [NOTE: As
   an example of the many instances of harassment, she reported that TCB
   staff ridiculed her for using a brailler and talking calculator and
   that her use of a talking clock was characterized by TCB staff as
   "stupid."]

   * * *

   "The Department finds that [Complainant], who is blind, is a qualified
   individual with a disability as defined by the ADA. The Department
   finds that TCB discriminates against [Complainant] in violation of the
   ADA in several ways. First, the restriction on use of certain adaptive
   equipment, including the braille machine, talking clock and talking
   calculator, amounts to an illegal denial of reasonable accommodations
   to [Complainant].

   While TCB alleges that these restrictions were made for work- related
   reasons related to [Complainant's] alleged misuse of this equipment,
   the United States finds that this argument is pretextual. Our
   investigation reveals that [Complainant] would have little
   justification or reason for misusing this equipment. Furthermore,
   apart from the possible suspicions of other employees, no documents or
   other evidence suggests that [Complainant] was misusing her braille
   machine. Further, even if the allegations of misuse of the equipment
   were true, the restrictions placed on [Complainant] were overbroad and
   prevented [Complainant] from fully performing all the job functions of
   her position. TCB's actions, therefore, amounted to a denial of
   reasonable accommodations. As a public employer, the Commission is
   required to make reasonable accommodations to the known physical and
   mental limitations of otherwise qualified employees with disabilities,
   unless it can demonstrate that providing the accommodation would
   impose an undue hardship on the operation of its program. 28 C.F.R.
   41.53.

   As discussed below, the Commission has not claimed undue hardship and
   has asserted that it was justified in restricting [Complainant's] use
   of adaptive equipment. As also discussed below, we believe that these
   claimed justifications are pretextual and inadequate to constitute a
   defense to denying [Complainant] her use of adaptive equipment.

   The department also finds that the conduct to which [Complainant] was
   subjected constitutes a hostile work environment in violation of the
   ADA, and that TCB failed to remedy promptly the harassment. The
   harassing comments and insults concerning [Complainant's] disability,
   the restrictions on her ability to use adaptive equipment, the
   attitude of TCB employees towards her use of her cane, and the
   repeated failure by TCB officials to address [Complainant's]
   complaints all amount to harassment on the basis of disability, which
   created a hostile work environment.

   In submissions to the Department of Justice, TCB officials do not
   categorically deny that the harassing comments and treatment took
   place. Instead, TCB officials allege that the remarks -- made by [TCB
   staff] -- were made in a "tongue-in-cheek" manner or were taken out of
   context by [Complainant]. Somewhat alarmingly, the Commission also
   attempts to use psychological profiles developed while [Complainant]
   was a TCB client to blame [Complainant] for her negative reaction to
   these comments, stating that such reactions were 'predicted by
   psychologists who had worked with [Complainant] as our consumer...'
   TCB also states that [Complainant] was using her adaptive equipment
   for tasks outside her job assignments and that the use of the adaptive
   equipment upset other employees. Evidence in the form of tape
   recordings and testimony supports [Complainant's] allegations that
   these comments and actions occurred. Further, the Department finds
   that TCB's arguments either do not present a defense to the
   allegations or are pretextual. First, it is not an adequate defense to
   argue that disability-based insults and comments of the kind
   experienced by [Complainant], when they create a hostile work
   environment, were made in a "tongue-in- cheek" or joking manner.
   Second, the evidence indicates that the comments, denials of
   reasonable accommodations and work restrictions were not made in a
   joking manner and were harassing. Interviews with [Complainant] and
   other employees indicate that the actions of TCB officials created an
   objectively hostile or abusive work environment and that [Complainant]
   subjectively perceived them as abusive. Finally, TCB's assertion that
   [Complainant] misused her adaptive equipment is not supported by any
   evidence and is pretextual. Even assuming that other employees
   disliked her use of her adaptive equipment, this evidence only
   supports [Complainant's] claim of a hostile work environment. The
   evidence establishes that her adaptive equipment was necessary for her
   to perform her essential job functions and allowed her to perform
   ordinary tasks that others without her disability would take for
   granted.

   The Department finds that TCB failed to remedy promptly the
   harassment. While TCB alleges that it investigated the allegations and
   counseled employees, our investigation found that most of the
   complaints were not investigated, that any investigation that was done
   was insufficient and that any actions taken by TCB were not prompt and
   did not remedy the harassment.

   Finally, the Department finds that, rather than remedy the harassment
   and offer [Complainant] a workplace free from harassment, TCB created
   a condition which resulted in her discharge. Evidence clearly
   establishes that, as a result of this treatment, [Complainant]
   suffered lost wages, severe emotional damages and other damages."

   * * *

   "The Department hereby determines that the actions described above by
   the Commission violated Title II of the ADA. Specifically, the
   Department finds that TCB discriminated against [the complainants] in
   violation of Title II of the ADA. The Department also finds that TCB's
   failure or refusal to provide reasonable accommodations constitutes a
   policy or practice that discriminates against qualified individuals
   with disabilities in violation of the ADA.

   The Department hereby offers the Commission an opportunity to
   negotiate a voluntary compliance agreement, as provided in 28 C.F.R.
   35.173. Such agreement must provide appropriate remedies for the
   victims of discrimination and will ensure that the type of violation
   that occurred in the past will not be repeated.

   In order to resolve this matter prior to litigation, we believe that a
   settlement agreement must include, at a minimum, TCB's agreement to
   provide adequate compensatory damages to [the complainants] and TCB's
   agreement to undertake steps to ensure that the needs of other
   employees with disabilities are met consistent with the requirements
   of Title II. In addition, we also believe that a settlement agreement
   must include an effective employee complaint grievance process that is
   independent of an employee's chain of supervision. We propose the
   following resolution:

   1. TCB will agree to pay appropriate compensatory damages to [the
   complainants] and backpay for [Complainant].

   2. TCB shall designate an ADA Compliance Officer responsible for
   receiving and investigating all complaints of discrimination on the
   basis of disability in employment at TCB. This ADA Compliance Officer
   must investigate all complaints, advise complainants of their right to
   file a complaint with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission or
   the [DOJ], maintain records, and provide biannual summaries of
   complaints to [DOJ] for a period of five years.

   3. TCB shall agree that any complaint received by the ADA Compliance
   Officer that is not satisfactorily resolved to the complainant's
   satisfaction within 120 days shall be referred to mediation by an
   independent mediator.

   4. TCB shall agree to provide reasonable accommodations to all new
   employees within 45 days of being hired by TCB. In addition, TCB shall
   agree to reassess the need for additional accommodations for any
   existing TCB employee within 30 days of request by any employee and
   will provide any necessary reasonable accommodations within 60 days of
   such request.

   5. TCB shall agree to provide training for all supervisory employees
   in all TCB offices concerning the rights and needs of persons with
   disabilities (including persons with vision impairments). This
   training shall be provided by an organization with recognized
   expertise in these issues.

   6. TCB shall establish an escrow account to compensate any additional
   persons subjected to discrimination on the basis of disability.

   7. If a TCB employee who is blind or has a vision impairment makes a
   request to his or her immediate supervisor for a braille, tape, or
   computer disk copy of any manual or publication that is issued to or
   provided for use by other employees, TCB shall provide the requested
   copy within 7 days of the request. TCB shall make copies of all
   employee manuals or publications available in all three accessible
   formats and shall make its best efforts to accommodate the employee's
   choice of formats."

   * * *

   So reads the DOJ's letter of findings. It is both astonishing and
   disturbing. Even if the claims of the complainants had no merit, which
   DOJ refutes, it is remarkable that TCB has allowed this process to
   persist to this point. As we learn about such situations, we need to
   reexamine our resolve as a community to be zealous advocates. If we
   are willing to tolerate discrimination or the refusal to provide
   reasonable accommodations by agencies within our field, how can we ask
   with conviction and consistency that the law be vigorously enforced
   against employers or government entities generally? This is especially
   true in an environment in which we are constantly faced with
   challenges to specialized services and the very existence of separate
   state agencies for the blind. The needs of people who are blind or
   visually impaired are unique, and ACB stands united with the entire
   blindness community in support of the separate state agency model.
   However, to maintain the integrity of our commitment to quality
   specialized services, we should demand and expect the very best from
   the agencies that we fight tenaciously to preserve. Clearly, we hope
   that the situation described in the letter of findings is the
   exception that proves the rule.

   Another reason to focus on the TCB matter is that it illustrates how
   the ADA can operate in the employment context. For all its
   limitations, the ADA can provide a process for fighting
   discrimination. Unfortunately, many people believe that the process is
   inherently complicated. Actually, the complaint process is relatively
   simple. As indicated earlier, the basic complaint process is the
   subject of this month's question.

   QUESTION: I read your article about the Texas Commission for the
   Blind, and I can relate to much of what the TCB employees were going
   through. I work for a state government agency. I have asked for
   accommodations several times, but I seem to be getting nowhere. I have
   no idea how the employee in the TCB matter filed her complaint and got
   the process moving. Furthermore, I'm not sure I could handle it even
   if I did know the steps to take. Can you give me some basic
   information?

   ANSWER: Yes, but you should make sure you've done your homework before
   you get to the point of filing a complaint. Although I'm not exactly
   sure how long you've been dealing with some form of discrimination at
   work, the first step that you should take is to avail yourself of
   whatever process you might be able to use to try to resolve the
   matter. There are two reasons why this is important. First, although
   there is a considerable amount of intended discrimination in the
   workplace, often employer actions that violate the ADA are simply the
   result of ignorance or a failure to think about alternatives. So,
   using the in-house process might get people together who need to
   communicate better.

   The second reason why the in-house process is important relates
   directly to the experience of the TCB employees. Formally raising your
   concerns with your supervisor, documenting your concerns in writing or
   other appropriate means, and tapping into your employer's grievance
   process will help you to build a record that will be extremely useful
   when you decide to file a complaint under the ADA. If you are a member
   of a union, remember that your union will have defined
   responsibilities to respond to your concerns and advocate on your
   behalf. However, keep in mind that unions are also subject to the
   requirements of the ADA. Some workplace issues can be resolved by
   reassignment of the employee, shifting work schedules and modifying
   job responsibilities. Your union needs to be sensitive to these
   possible accommodations.

   If the in-house process does not work out for you, or you are
   prevented from using it, you should consider filing a complaint under
   the ADA. A few basic points should be kept in mind. Title I of the ADA
   deals with employment. The Equal Employment Opportunity Commission
   (EEOC) has the responsibility to enforce Title I. Title II of the ADA
   concerns the activities, programs and services of state and local
   government entities, such as your employer. The Department of Justice
   is responsible for enforcing Title II. Clearly, state and local
   government agencies are also employers, and the ADA is structured to
   allow both EEOC and DOJ to enforce the Title I employment provisions
   against state and local agencies. This has practical significance for
   you because you have the option to file your complaint with either
   EEOC or DOJ. Both federal agencies will apply the same regulations,
   but the process is a bit different for each.

   If you file your complaint with the EEOC, you are essentially locked
   into that administrative process for the duration. You are not free to
   pursue action in court until you have received a "right to sue" letter
   indicating that EEOC has completed its investigation. You must file
   your complaint within 180 days after the instance of discrimination.
   However, the EEOC has developed formalized relationships with many
   state human rights commissions, and, depending on where you live, your
   complaint will actually be filed jointly with the EEOC and the
   appropriate state body. In such cases, you have up to 300 days to file
   your complaint. To learn about the process that pertains to you, you
   can contact the EEOC at 1-800-669-4000. EEOC representatives can guide
   you through the specific steps in the process applicable to you, but
   you should also feel free to contact the ACB national office.

   As an employee of a state agency, you have the option of filing your
   complaint with DOJ. If you were working for a private employer you
   would not have this option. Again, your complaint must be filed within
   180 days. An important difference to remember about the DOJ process is
   that you remain free to pursue a law suit in federal court. DOJ will
   investigate your complaint. However, you should know that you may wait
   from eight to 12 weeks to receive your first response from DOJ.

   As for preparing the complaint, the common assumption is that the
   actual complaint document is complicated and requires a great deal of
   formality. This is regrettable because the complaint is really nothing
   more than a letter. Although it is true that DOJ has prepared a Title
   II complaint form, DOJ does not require that you submit your
   information on the form itself. You are asked to provide your name as
   the complainant, your complete address, your home and business phone
   numbers, the name and contact information of the agency or other Title
   II entity involved, the circumstances prompting your complaint in as
   much detail as you can provide, and the date of your complaint. You
   are also asked to inform DOJ if you have already filed, or intend to
   file, your complaint with another agency or court and, if so, to
   specify the agency or court.

   Submit your letter to the U.S. Department of Justice, Civil Rights
   Division, Disability Rights Section, P.O. Box 66738, Washington, D.C.
   20035-6738. If you have questions about preparing this material, you
   can contact DOJ at 1-800-514-0301, or contact the ACB national office.