From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Feb 1998 11:21:03 -0800
  I have an Opti MV035 (Rev D) 486 motherboard that I have recently
reassembled into a system with an AMD DX4-100, 32MB of RAM (one
SIMM), a Cirrus 5428 VLB video card, two 2.1GB EIDE drives, and an
Acer 916e CD-ROM drive.  I'm having two problems with it which may
or may not be related:

1.  Booting from a DOS floppy gets through the POST code to where it
actually would start to load from the floppy, then sits there with
the floppy light and motor going, but never shows any further
progress.
  I can correct this, for now, by disabling L1 cache in the CMOS
setup.  Obviously, I'd prefer not to do that; I think I would
remember if I had had to do that when this mobo and CPU were working
together before.

2.  This is to be my first Linux box, and I'm trying to install Red
Hat 5.0 on it.  I get as far as the message "Now booting the kernel",
and the system hangs.  [This is with L1 already disabled, or it
wouldn't have got this far.]
  My suspicion is that this may be about the point where Linux wants
to start probing to identify installed hardware, but I don't know for
sure.  Does anyone here know?

David G