Date:
Wed, 11 Feb 1998 08:28:44 +0000
        Hi.
>   But I'm a bit concerned by your reference to moving the mouse from
> "serial 1" to PS/2.  I know that you can get adapters that will allow
> a serial mouse to be physically connected to a PS/2 port, but my
> understanding is that these should only be used with mice designed to
> handle that.  [My hunch is that the PS/2 port will supply less power
> than a serial port, and that may not be enough for some mice to
> function.]
>
>   I'm cc'ing this back to the list in case someone else has an idea.
>
> David G

        A PS/2 mouse (as the keyboard) receives full 0 ohms output
impedance pure +5V from the PC power supply (the current limit will
be that of the power supply). It is a +5V device.
        A serial mouse is a +-12V device, but none of the pins of a
serial connector carry +-12V (old mice had an external supply, or
were fed from the keyboard). What it does is derive the power from
the signals, which is "garage" electronics, but works. Parallel
port dongles work similarily, so you may have problems cascading
several of them.
        A mouse designed to work as PS/2 or as serial with a
mechanical adapter does an intelligent test of what it receives
to adapt to one mode or the other. Adapting involves supply
mode and protocol.
        (Well, all this are my suppositions after seeing the real
world. May be it is written somewhere, but I don't know. Manufacturers
give so many tons of descriptions and specifications, and after
that comes people's imagination...).

Javier Vizcaino. Ability Electronics. [log in to unmask]

Starting point:        (-1)^(-1) = -1
Applying logarithms: (-1)*ln(-1) = ln(-1)
Since ln(-1) <> 0, dividing:  -1 = 1
     (ln(-1) is complex, but exists)

          PCBUILD:  http://nospin.com  or  [log in to unmask]