From:
Leif Gregory <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Apr 1998 11:35:06 +0900
On 24 Apr 98 at 10:15, D A V wrote:
_________________________ Begin Quoted Text _________________________

> i have a 486 that was pieced together from spare parts lying around.  it
> was given to me with no documentation.  running win3.1, and blah blah old
> stuff.
> It initially had 4 meg of memory, then another 4 meg was added.  The
> chips are different looking, one is staggered one is not.  I still am
> unsure how to tell if it is parity or non.  i wish to add more, possibly
> 16 meg, but how do i tell?  so far, since it's a 486 i'm assuming parity
> because of the age.  but looking on the chips themselves i see that it is
> 72 pin, and on one of them there are 16 (chips) and the other 12.   I had
> thought that parity would have an odd number of chips on the memory
> module, so now that makes these non-parity, my bios has a selection for
> parity error checking, though it is disabled....so what do you all think?

_________________________  End Quoted Text  _________________________

Here's an excerpt from the memory article in my newsletter.

Looking at a SIMM, many times it's difficult to tell what type it is.
so if you remember these general rules, you should be all right:

- 1, 4 and 16MB 72 pin SIMMs are single sided.
- 2, 8 and 32MB 72 pin SIMMs are double sided.

To determine whether the SIMM is parity or not, these general rules
will help. BTW, parity is usually referred to as x36 and non-parity as
x32:

- On 30 pin SIMMs, count the number of chips (DIPPs) on the stick. If
  it's 2 or 8, it's probably non-parity. 3 or 9, it's parity.
- On 72 pin SIMMs, it's a little more difficult. Generally, if there
  are 4, 8, 16 or 32 chips, it's non-parity.

If you want the whole newsletter, click here (This won't subscribe
you).

<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

Leif Gregory
<mailto:[log in to unmask]>