From:
Brian Coe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Apr 1998 22:10:03 -0700
Martin:

What you are experiencing is the affects of the monkey virus. what the
monkey virus does is move your boot record to a different p[lace on the
hard drive. What happens when you boot to a clean floppy is that it does
not have the pointers to get back to the HD so it will say invalid drive
and such. there are 2 methods to resolve this 1 use Norton Utilities and do
a NDD /rebuild (that forces NDD into rebuilding the partition tables) or do
an FDISK /MBR that will also get you to the same place then you can boot to
a floppy and make sure that the virus is gone. the methods described above
will not work if you have a drive overlay program(for drives larger than
514 Megabytes)
If you have one of those I would recommend that you boot normally get any
important data off the disk. be forewarned that the floppy that you copy
the data to will also be infected(you can remove the virus with Mcafee or
NAV)then you can do the required stuff to the hard drive. Hope this helps