From:
Ron Taylor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Feb 1998 19:11:58 -0500
>Could you confirm the above information?
>
>For some reason, I got the idea (quite a while ago) that if you have
>your mouse on com 1 you can't put your modem on com 2.  Consequently
>I've always put my mouse on com 1 and my modem on com 3.  This seems to
>have worked for me, although there are a couple of exceptions I have
>recently noticed.
>
>One thought:  Has this recently changed with the invent of newer
>technology (i.e. pentium MB's).  (my pentium that I'm using now uses the
>com1, com3 combo quite well).
>
>Another possibility:  Is the IRQ settings different for mother boards
>with the IO on the board as apposed to MB's that you have to purchase
>separate IO boards?
>
>Thanks for you help in clearing up this (lingering) confusion.

Marc
As Jim mentioned in an earlier part of this thread.  The newer modems are
mostly P-N-P.  They will select an unused interrupt.  If the modem is
jumpered then you have to match the hardware settings with the software
settings.  As long as there are not any interrupt conflicts things generally
work.
Here are the I/O ranges that determine the com port:
03F8-03FF    =    COM1
02F8-02FF    =    COM2
03E8-03EF    =    COM3
02E8-02EF    =    COM4