From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Feb 1998 14:17:23 -0800
On 24 Feb 98 at 18:04, Kevin wrote:

> I'm looking at buying a new Hard Drive with about 4 or more Gigs
> of space depending on prices and current technology. I'm running a
> Pentium 100, 32mb RAM, 1Gig HD, thats about 2-3 years old. The HD
> that I buy must be fast and reliable. I need speed for games and 3D
> Graphics. My current HD is a E/IDE I'm not 100% sure which one. I
> am looking for a short explanation of the current and soon to come
> technologies and how they will effect my current HD which I will
> set as a slave to the new one. (NOTE: The new HD will be used to
> run Win95/98, WinNT and Linux.)

  Maxtor's 5.2GB UDMA drive has been selling lately for about $200, a
good value for the capacity and a pretty decent performer.  UDMA is
backward compatible with EIDE, so it should work as a slave to your
existing drive -- which, however, may slow it down a little.  Maybe
not enough to worry about.

David G