From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Feb 1998 11:17:47 -0800
On 22 Feb 98 at 12:03, David Pray wrote:

> I have a friends packard bell just can't set it up I install
> windows 95 then go to see what works the CD line in the
> autoexec.bat is remmed out, the Microsoft  sidewinder pro does not
> work speakers don't work.

  It is normal for an install of Win95 to comment out real-mode
CD-ROM drivers, expecting to have 32-bit drivers for the device.

> I first had to install dos 6.22 then the CD driver nec multispin 6V
> then I installed windows 95 off of a cd.

  This is pretty normal.  You need a boot disk with CD drivers to
start the install process.

> The origonal Packard Bell was with a different cd,soundcard is
> changed to creatives 32pnp.

  The problem with the speakers and sidewinder suggest that this card
is not configured quite the way Windows thinks it is.  PnP seems to
be less than 100% reliable; can you set the configuration manually?

> Also had to go back to the on board video,the PCI STB powergrapic64
> 3d messes up at the final boot up stage.

> I tried different drivers with some luck is this computer junk or
> what.

  Packard Bell have a rather poor reputation, especially amongst
upgraders.

David G