From:
Mark Rode <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Feb 1998 22:04:48 -0800
I have  a FIC PA 2007 with a ULTRA  Seagate running by it self on the
primary channel of the on board controller. This board / controller
supports ULTRA DMA drives.  The bios correctly identifies the drive at post
as an ULTRA DMA .
I am running Win95b. My problem is that I am completely unable to load bus
mastering drivers. First I tried installing FIC supplied VIA drivers....the
setup program runs the drives install and then the PC reboots. At this
point I can not get back into Windows... when it loads I get a blue screen
and a crash. If I  go into safe mode and try to remove  the drivers and
make repairs things just get worse. ......finally I give up and restore
from a image file.

Then I was told not to use the VIA drivers in Win95b but to just enable DMA
support  in device manager. I tried that by going into device manager and
disk drives and checking the DMA box.and now after reboot I am back with
the same problem ...I can't get into normal windows....I went into safe
mode and removed all drivers so that Win95 would reinstall standard
settings on boot. It does boot into windows but fails to load the correct
standard drivers..and I end up in compatibility mode. If I let win 95 find
and install standard drivers from the desktop I reboot and end up right
back at the blue screen crash unable to make windows function.
. I am just about ready to 86 the partition and restore the image file but
I would like to figure out why I am having so much trouble...all I did was
check one box enabling DMA support and now Win95 is completely  dysfunctional.

Mark