From:
A Cassel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 Feb 1998 00:00:05 -0800
Hi All:

I am about to do some upgrading on my Compaq Presario 982.  I am
comfortable with most of what I plan to do, but I have no experience
setting up hard drives.  I presently have a 720 Meg HD with a non-dos
partition containing the BIOS, that leaves me a reported 690 Meg.  I
want to install my new Maxtor 3.2 Gig HD and also use the old drive. I
am unclear on partitions and logical drives.  I would like to install
the Maxtor as Master on primary IDE but to install my BIOS, I have to
run quick restore that won't recognize a hard drive larger than 1.1
Gig.  Can I partition the 3.2 installed as Master on the secondary IDE
into a 1 Gig then move it to primary IDE for quick restore?  Would quick
restore see the whole drive or just the partition?  I want to install
Win95B with Fat 32.  Please explain how to partition, create logical
drives and can different logical drives be formatted with different size
sectors on the same partition (ie. 1 logical drive formatted w/ z:2)?
Please help before I create a monster and have to ask a zillion
questions of this wonderful group. Should my CD be slave on primary or
secondary IDE?  So many questions, sorry ;>).     Art Cassel