From:
Tom Turak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Feb 1998 14:46:31 -0500
Bassem,  a 6x IDE CD ROM ( I assume yours attaches to the IDE connector
like a hard disk) would be recognised by Win95 without the need for any
drivers or setup.  Under Device Manager you should see an icon for CD ROM,
and under that should be an icon for ATAPI CD ROM, again, I assume you are
using an IDE CD ROM.  If you don't have an entry under device manager, and
If it doesn't come up when you re-boot, try going to Control Panel, add new
hardware and have the wizard search your system.  If it still won't come
up, and your sure it is properly attached by the ribbon cable, and it is
getting power, you might consider the drive is bad.

The drivers are a nice thing to have if your selling a working drive,
however, since the new owner might want to use the drive in DOS, where the
driver is necessary.  Look in Config.sys for a device=  line which may give
you a clue to where the driver is stored.  The line will have a filename
that may or may not include CD or IDE and ends in .SYS
 My 10x has the line "device=c:\cdrom\sms_10x.sys"
The other posted suggestion to use Mitsumi is a good idea also.  I have
done this too.