From:
Tom Turak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Feb 1998 09:22:59 -0500
Hi Robert.

First, if you have no memory or no video card, the Power On Self-Test
(POST) is going to beep.  There was an earlier thread here that warned
against placing a mobo on a non-conductive surface, seems at least one
metal contact is desirable through the mounting hardware.

There was another thread about powering up a PC without properly attaching
the 5 and 12 volt harnesses, some said this can damage the power supply.

My standard operating procedure is to install memory, cpu, and fan.  Mount
the mobo in the case and attach the mobo power harness, attach 12 volt
power to the fan and diskette drive, Put in a video card, attach the PC
internal speaker and reset switch to the mobo, attach a keyboard, and try
to boot the system up.  That way you have a very short list to
trouble-shoot if the boot fails.

If it passes I connect the rest of the case LED leads, add hard disk, cd,
network, sound, and modem, attach a mouse, and try another boot before I
close the case.

My biggest headache has been cases.  Look for one that has a separate
expansion card mounting plate fastened to the inside of the case's rear
panel with screws instead of rivets.  When you install expansion cards you
can loosen these screws to move the panel, which the exposed rear portion
of the expansion card protrudes through, to adjust for slight differences
in the card height to case depth.  This allows the cards to properly seat
without interference from the mounting hardware.  Once all the cards are
in, tighten the back panel screws.

Most beeps are caused by video cards not properly seated in the slot or
memory simms that are bad or loose. Video beeps usually stop after 14 or
so, the number exact is supposed to help diagnose the fault, but mobos can
be different in this regard.

Shorts can also cause beeps.  I replaced a mobo that was attached with 4
metal screws.  The new mobo was identically drilled with mounting holes so
I used all 4 screws.  Well, it beeped loud and long.  I replaced 3 of the
screws with plastic ones I found in the hardware store and the mobo booted
right up and continues to run fine.

Good Luck
Tom Turak