From:
Pete Kettelkamp <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Feb 1998 10:20:32 -0500
Hello PC Builders:

I am attempting to upgrade a 486DX-33, 20RAM clone from a stripped
networked PC to basic multimedia.

After formatting HD, I installed DOS 6.22. No problems.  I then
attempted to install Win 3.1 and could not get past the first installer
disk (Disk 2 was rejected). This set of Win 3.1 disks were then tested
on another machine with no problems. I then checked the FDD jumpers and
they seem okay, but since it is an old FDD, I installed a new TEAC. Same
results.

Since I had removed the original 5.25 FDD (A:\) and moved the 3.5 FDD to
A:\ I double checked the BIOS setup changes that I had made. A:\ is
marked as a 3.5 1.44Mb.

Next I put in a DRIVPARM in config.sys and it worked! Why do I need this
in config.sys? Is it a BIOS issue?

At anyrate, that is by no means the end of my troubles. I can not setup
the CD-ROM as a slave off of the same ribbon as the HDD. I have to use
the soundcard IDE connector. Why?

Thank you for any enlightenment!

Peter Kettelkamp

          PCBUILD:  http://nospin.com  or  [log in to unmask]