From:
Jim Meagher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Feb 1998 13:36:23 -0500
Randy Edwards wrote:

> >         Is it possible to install 2 printers on one PC?  One printer is an
> > Epson and the other is a Panasonic.  I think it's possible, but
> > don't know how to do it.
>
>     Yes, it is.  All you need is a second parallel port in your computer and
> you can hook one printer up to each port.  After installing a parallel port
> you simply "add a printer" in the Control Panel's printers function and it's a
> snap.

Well, it might not be quite a snap, but Randy has the right idea.

He left out about six or eight more steps.  Since most I/O cards have
a limited range of IRQ and address settings, it's a good idea
to find out which IRQs are available and what base I/O address
is available BEFORE you rush out and buy the adapter card.

I'm not ashamed to admit it, that got me once.  I bought the
card, went to the job site and found the card did not have
an IRQ setting that matched what was available in the system.
(True, you can juggle the IRQs on other boards, but that's a
looong process. Not to be undertaken by the faint of heart.)

Most I/O cards are not PnP so you will probably have to go in
to the device manager and tell it which IRQ and I/O address block
to use.

--
Jim Meagher

          PCBUILD:  http://nospin.com  or  [log in to unmask]