Date:
Sun, 31 May 1998 11:04:31 EDT
In a message dated 5/30/98 11:04:34 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

 I just put together a 486DX PC on which i am running Windows 95.  For the
 first few days the clock kept the correct time, however if I turn the power
 off the clock time will change.  My question is this:  Should I replace the
 battery that supports my CMOS or is there something else I should also check
 into?
 If it is the battery, can I just add an external battery without causing
 damage and also keep from losing my CMOS setup?

 Thanks,

 Gerard Stevenson >>

Hi,
  The CMOS battery *may* be the culprit, however many motherboards use a
Dallas real time clock chip that has its own built in battery. If this is the
case, you'll need to replace the Dallas chip (the built in battery can't be
replaced seperately from the whole chip). These can be recognised by the word
Dallas on the chip, and the fact it is much thicker than the other chips (due
to the battery).

HTH,
Peter