From:
John Hornbuckle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 May 1998 20:00:19 -0400
>I need to buy a printer for each of our summer camps.

   Do you have a preference in terms of the printing method (i.e., dot
matrix, laser/LED, inkjet)? How important is print quality?
   If print quality isn't your top concern, I'm thinking that a rugged dot
matrix unit is the way to go. Of course, those printers are getting harder
and harder to find!  :-)
   If quality is important and you're leaning towards an inkjet, I'm a big
fan of the Epson Stylus Color 600. This printer has the ability to print at
1440x700 dpi, and sells pretty much everywhere for $249.
   If print quality isn't as important and you're leaning towards an
inkjey, Lexmark has their 1000 model. This color inkjet sells for around
$140, but you get a $40 rebate back from Lexmark (I don't know for certain
if they're still doing this, but it may be worth looking into). So for
$100, you get a color inkjet printer. You're not likely to find one for
less than this.
   Your description of the conditions where this printer will be located
make me nervous, though... Dampness, combined with 9 months of not being
used... I tend to think that your ink cartridges will dry out during the
non-summer months when the printer is packed away...

John Hornbuckle

Phoenix Computer Systems, Inc.
114 West Green Street
Perry, FL 32347