Date:
Thu, 23 Apr 1998 22:03:05 -0700
I'm writing this from my home (Win 3.11) computer, so I am answering
from memory.  FIRST, let me state that there is NO sound card.  The
sound is built onto the motherboard.  Now you know my reluctance to just
haul the "entire computer" back to the store when it may only be a
simple problem.  The board is a TX-Pro with on-board sound.

Looked in Control Pannel|Multimedia|Advanced and found plenty of
devices.  I checked the properties of each of them and compared it with
the computer that is working.  Everything looked the same.

But I don't even know if the built-in speaker is working?  In
Desktop|Media there are literally hundreds of files with either a Music
Staff Icon in front of it or a Speaker Icon (like the DING sound).  On
my system, they all work fine thru the speakers.  On the other system,
not a peep from the speakers when they are double clicked.  The small
box shows up with the graphic display (like an oscilloscope displaying
the voltage peaks from a microphone or sound track), or the midi box
shows up with the arrow indicating how much more time the piece has to
play (with all of its fancy controls).  But neither make any sound from
the speakers.

But put in a CDRom with audio, and voila! we have sound!  Is it time to
take it back to the shop??

--
Jean Bourvic