From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Apr 1998 10:41:31 -0800
On 16 Apr 98 at 16:38, MARTIN J. KNIEP wrote:

> The documentation stated the modem required Windows 3.1 or 95.  Is
> this a requirement for some modems (hardware)?

  Sounds suspiciously like a "WinModem".  The manufacturer saves some
on hardware components by providing a Windows-only driver which uses
your CPU to do some of the work that other modems would do on their
own.  Without Windows, it's not usable.  [Officially, this should not
affect performance of your other Windows applications, but I only
seem to know three kinds of people:  People who've never heard of
them, people who've been unhappy with them, and people who have
always avoided them.]
  The last couple of 33.6 modems I bought were about $40.  It's hard
to believe that a WinModem can save people much off that price.

> The floppy drive I brought home was half the size of my case's
> available bay (not a real problem), had pin connectors (my date
> cables connect to something more closely resembling a card), and
> the power cable connection was of a different size than exists in
> my system.

  Most modern systems include both styles of connector on the floppy
cable (2 sets), and at least one miniature power connector.  Adapters
to allow these new drive connections to be used with older systems
are a standard item, and should only run a dollar or two.
  It sounds like your drive bay is a 5.25" size.  You can get a kit
consisting of thick side rails and a bezel (front plastic piece) to
bulk your 3.5" drive up to that size, for about $5.  Be sure to
specify that it's for a 3.5" FLOPPY, so the bezel will have the
correct kind of hole.

David G