From:
Larry Atlow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Apr 1998 20:27:30 -0500
Michael D. Sheridan wrote:

> Dear List Folks:
>
> I would like to try my hand at building a
> computer. Would someone kindly advise
> me the best place to start.
>
> Thanking you in Advance,
. . .

Well, I don't have any books or web sites to recommend, although there
are several good ones out there as has already been mentioned.  My
simple advice would be as follows:

1. Identify what you want the machine to do.  What kinds of apps will
you be running.  Games, multimedia, word processing, CAD,  . . .  What
you do will partially influence the optimum component mix.

2. Identify the major components of the system.  Shop around.  Local
shops, _Computer Shopper_, etc. to find the motherboard/case , hard
drive, memory and video card you want to use.  Keep step 1 in mind.

3.  Along with step 2, start to calculate the costs and identify the
vendor(s) you want to use.

4. Find one of those books or other sources that have been mentioned
before and study them.  Famaliarize yourself with the process as much as
possible.  Ensure you've got the tools that you'll need.

5. Git' after it.  Ask questions when they come to you.

--
Larry Atlow                          Internet:[log in to unmask]
Microcomputer Analyst                Phonenet: (601) 264-9639