From:
Dean Weaver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Apr 1998 22:04:08 +0100
Cherri wrote:

>Could anyone advise the amount of space Win 95 would take up on
>the server (space is a consideration at this point on our server).
Any one
>have experience with using External CD-Rom drives?  Fast or slow?
Good or
>bad?

First - the 'Win95' directory (all you need for installation) needs
79mb.

Second - I use an external CD-Rom drive regularly - used to use a
'Backpac' drive (X4 I think) which performed well until it broke after
about 18 months. Now use a combined PD writeable/CD-Rom which is very
slow (but easier than floppies).
In order to use these prior to installing Win'95 you will need the
drivers installing.
If you will need to do this on several machines - I found it easier to
install them on one machine, copy  'autoexec.bat' , 'config.sys' ,
MSCDEX.EXE & the 'driver directory' (name will depend on driver
software) onto a 'bootable floppy' - then edit the 'boot files' to use
files on the floppy.
Then just use this floppy to boot each machine when you need to use
the external CD-Rom.

Once Win'95 is installed you can use the '32 bit' driver for your
'external' (no boot file changes required).