From:
Dave Littlehale <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Apr 1998 18:32:48 -0400
Roxanne Pierce wrote:

> My solution for clients with this situation is #3 above.  I install a hardware
> I/O card with its own BIOS that *is* capable of fully recognizing larger hard
> drives. The cost is not high (certainly less than $50), and you gain the proper
> support for your hard drive.  My personal preference for such cards is those
> made by Promise Technology.  You can see their offerings at:
>
> http://www.promise.com

I just went through this very same problem (see my post Adding hd almost
over).  I decided on the Promise Ultra33 PCI card; basically, because my
ISA slots were full and I had empty PCI slots.  It appears to be running
fine.  I purchased a Western Digital 6.4 gb and my bios wouldn't
recognize it just like your experience.

Let me know if you want to hear the gory details.  I would recommend the
Promise card; if your local retailer doesn't have it, check the Promise
web site and you can order it from a link there.  I got mine from
Insight for $50 and $10 shipping.  Had it in 2 days

Good luck

Dave Littlehale