From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Apr 1998 11:13:59 -0800
On  2 Apr 98 at 1:12, Michi Imamura wrote:

> All of these sevices didn't have my specific modem an their
> database.  I have a Jaton 56Kflex with rockwell chip.  I have tried
> various modem selections.  None of these servers support a 56K
> modem.  So I have had to register my modem as a 33.6K.

  This sounds pretty strange to me; I've never had to "register" my
modem type with an on-line service or ISP.
  I *have* had to install modem drivers into Win95, and some
manufacturers have slightly "funky" procedures for that.

  A fast modem should generally be able to connect to a slower modem,
at the slower modem's speed, UNLESS you have checked the "only
connect at this speed" box in the modem configuration (which I
wouldn't epect you to do).
  The point is that a 56K modem should connect just fine with 33.6K,
28.8K or even 2400bps modems at the provider's end.

  I've never heard of a Jaton modem before, but I've seen
unfavourable reviews of some of their video cards.  It may be that
installing and configuring their modems is even more awkward than
some others I've worked with.

David G