From:
Drew Dunn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 31 Mar 1998 19:01:45 -0700
This is an interesting thread, because the resources available on
motherboards haven't changed.  The usual complement of interrupts and IO
addresses are still available.  The big difference?  We're hanging a lot
more stuff on our systems, so we're taxing the resources of our systems in
ways that we have never done before.

Remember, no matter what, there are only 16 IRQ's available on a
motherboard, and many of them are already dedicated to motherboard
resources.  That's the way that it's been since the 16 bit ISA bus was
created.

Now, that ISA bus may be a little smaller than it used to...Intel has
released a crop of motherboards with just a couple of ISA slots, and if they
get their way, the ISA bus will go away.

Drew Dunn

<snip>