From:
James Maki <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Apr 1998 15:48:48 +0000
I had a similar type problem with the STB Velocity 64 VLB card on a
486 computer when trying to display complex bit mapped graphics in
MS Publisher. The screen would freeze and a hard reboot was required
(ctlr-alt-del did not work). I narrowed it down to that combination,
and it happened everytime. Contacted STB and they sent the latest
BIOS chip. I downloaded the latest video drivers. The problem did not
go away until I ungraded my system to a pentium with a new PCI video
card.

Hope someone else has a more hopeful solution since it doesn't look
like you want/need to upgrade anytime soon.

Jim

> Hi all,
>
> I've been following this mailing list for sometime, but never thought that I
> would need help.
>
> I hope that someone knows the answer to this:
>
> My machine is a PII 300; Abit LX6 motherboard; 64mb SDRAM; 8.4GB Maxtor; STB
> Velocity 128 AGP Graphics card.
>
> My problem is that when I try to use games e.g Quake 2, G Police, the screen
> locks up and the machine has to be reset completely.
>
> I was using Win95 OSR2, but have upgraded to Win98 still the problem exists.
> I have replaced the card, updated all the drivers, the bios, and there are
> no conflicts showing under the system properties. This problem also occured
> whilst using IE 3.02.
>
> It allows me to start using the software but then locks up after 10 seconds
> or so. Everyother piece of software is fine.
>
> Is this a problem associated with AGP graphics cards????
>
> Can anyone help??
>

> Jason Parker

Jim Maki