From:
Chris Louth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 1 Apr 1998 08:19:16 -0800
Jim Meagher wrote:

> >>         Hi.
> >>         I think W95 does not support EGA, and does not support
> >> old Hercules.
> >> In fact, for W311 for Workgroups, the EGA drivers had to be
> >> downloaded from MS.
> >> But I am not too sure.
> >
> >        I don't know what EGA has to do with it, but no, win95
> doesn't support it
> >out of the box
>
> I agree with you, EGA has nothing to do with this thread.  I don't
> know why it was brought up.  The Windows 95 __minimum__ video
> requirement is a standard VGA (800 x 600) video card.
>
> Hercules did (does?) make some monochrome VGA cards.  I think you have
> a mismatch of a non-vga card with a VGA driver, which is why
> everything works when you plug in a VGA card.
> Because you are using a Hercules driver with a non-hercules video
> card, it comes out funky.

Standard VGA is 640x480x4 bit video. I have run Win95 just fine on this.
(it is what Safe Mode reverts to)
As for the Hercules mono support, I would suggest that having a windows
3.1 video driver is not going to work very well in any case, and
especially not because Win95 expects certain specific settings on the
computer. In particular, VGA has 480 lines, while HGC will use 720x348
resolution. Not enough  lines to draw many standard dialog boxes (think
'display properties')

--
Chris Louth - [log in to unmask] - Omegan Adept Dragon -=UDIC=-
ICQ UIN: 1553228          _\|/_  S'imr-Li on UO Pacific