CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Thu, 26 Mar 1998 20:34:17 EST

<< "Human speech has two disctinctive yet complementary functions and modes.
 The Overt mode is spoken forwards and is primarily under conscious
 control. The Covert mode is spoken backward and is not under conscious
 control. The backward mode of speech occurs simultaneously with the
 forward mode and is a reversal of the forward speech sounds.

At first sight, I have to say that this is plum crazy.  I remember studying
language development in depth some years ago.  The forward-backward idea had
to do with phonetic development.  Children spoke in bilabials before dentals
and later on used gutterals and then grew to use the more complex sibilants.
As simple as this sounds, it was much more comlex when speeled out in terms of
actual utterances.