CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Bill Meecham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 Jan 1998 14:10:30 -0800
Godwin is busy explaining why dissidents exist in the US (and why
the bulk of the population is boycotting elections).  The system has
40 M. people with virtually no health care, unemploy ment officially 5%,
ignoring another 5% who have stopped looking for jobs, 50M underemployed
1 M unemployed in prisons, another 1 M in the military, also unemployed.
To mention but a few of the exotic features which have attracted the
attention of Noam.  Who asked for a psycho history from this amateur?

And while searching entrails for explanations of why all are not singing
 hymns of praise to  the corp.s the good gentleman might keep in mind
for example the plucky activities of Nike: having shoes made in Indonesia
by children for $5.60 and selling them in the US for $120.  Yes the invisible
hand at work (or is it the invisible finger).  And why would Noam object to
sending 20 billion of taxpayer money to support the fascists who run that
Asian country. Yes Chomsky must have had a not jolly childhood.

Again thanks to psychology for the hilarious, though slightly irrelevant, analysis.