CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dan Koenig <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Oct 1999 20:35:40 -0700
-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [CHOMSKY] Media Freedom: U.S. vs. Other Countries
Date: Mon, 04 Oct 1999 17:36:32 -0700
From: Dan Koenig <[log in to unmask]>
To: Ed Burns <[log in to unmask]>

There are six media conglomerates that dominate the constructions of
reality, the
attitudes, values, lifestyles, etc. of  the entire world whether one is
in a
remote village of China without clean water or in Washington D.C.  I
think that a
very strong argument can be made that it is their socializing effect
upon global
values that opened the way to the so called global village so beloved by
monopoly
capitalism rather than global monopoly capitalism socializing people
into a
global culture.  When Lech Walensa was asked the origins of his protest
that was
to become the Solidarity Movement leading eventually to the collapse of
Communism
in Poland, he reportedly pointed to a television set and said "it all
came from
there."   Similar protests earlier in Prague (1968) and Budapest (1956)
undoubtedly were strongly fueled by values and attitudes (and, no doubt,
some
myths) being communicated by Radio Free Europe, Voice of America, etc.
It is, I
am sure, no coincidence that the Communist regimes went to as great
lengths to
jam such broadcasts as the U.S. went to provide them.

More recently and closer to home, when the Vancouver group, Adbusters,
wanted to
buy a 30 second spot (with cash in hand) two years ago to promote "Buy
Nothing
Day", the major U.S. networks turned them down cold.  For the
uninitiated, Buy
Nothing Day is set for the day following the American Thanksgiving
(which is the
fourth Thursday in November), which is the traditional kick off for the
intensive
Christmas advertising blitz.  You can find out more from the Adbusters
website
(any search engine should turn it up), but the gist of it is to reclaim
some
autonomy buy avoiding purchases on that day to fight the
overcommercialization
and manipulation of our lives. The networks, of course, derive most of
their
revenues from commercial enterprises and were unwilling to allow a
counter-message on their networks that might have the effect of
encouraging
people to adopt new attitudes and behaviors, or even to reflect upon
their lives
(in a meaningful way, that is, as opposed to whether they need a new
deoderant --
we all have already been socialized to buy and apply commercial
chemicals to our
bodies rather than to live naturally).

Freedom of speech?  Yeah, right, wanna buy a bridge?