CHOMSKY Archives

CHOMSKY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sun, 3 Oct 1999 01:39:53 -0400
>> Jess, how can morality be objective?  Martin, think about this one.

>If you and I have the same moral code with respect to bombing, then
>our moral code on bombing is objective with respect to us.

I still don't understand.  Can you explain this statement a little better(or
someone else try)?  Cause I'm having difficulty getting it.

>If I protest the bombing of Yugoslavia on the basis that it is immoral
because my moral code says that bombing is immoral, and I do not
protest the bombing of Chechnya, then either my alleged moral code is
not my real moral code, or I have a double standard.

Actually it should be because "I have a double standard" therefore "my
alleged moral code is not my real moral code".

>Since I claim that my moral code includes the rule that bombing is immoral,
and I write from that position and allow you to believe that I mean it, if I
protest the one bombing and not the other, I am being dishonest.

There are more "rules" in ones moral code, I think.  You quickly jump on the
dishonesty concept without looking at other factors which my cause someone
to act.  This could be the reason why you see many activists as "dishonest".

>Either my alleging that I am protesting the bombing of Yugoslavia on
moral grounds is false, or my claim that I do not have a double
standard on protesting bombing is false.

Or you have other reasons that caused you to or not to protest bombing.

I think you have to expand your thinking to come to more accurate conclusions.

Milutin

--
While arms warehouses fill as quick as tha cells
Rally round tha family, pockets full of shells