RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Fri, 20 Mar 1998 03:23:39 -0800
From:
"Roberta J Leong, LAc" <[log in to unmask]>
Ellie,

Here's a list from my supplier's book.

> Liza, I can't find raw milk produts in NYC, Is the raw goat's-milk
> yogurt available in your supermarkets, and does it have a brand name?

Many states have outlawed raw dairy.  Raw goat cheese is sold here in
California by Landmark and nearly every company that offers raw cow
dairy.  Redwood Hill Farms, I believe, offers goat yogurt but I don't
think it is raw.  Alta Dena and Stueve's offers raw butter, milk and
cream from cows.  A number of companies offer raw cow cheese including
Landmark, Organic Valley, Alta Dena, Sonnet Farms, and Stonefelt's aka
Greenbank.  Horizon offers organic dairy but it is all homogenized and
pasteurized (ick).  As someone (PE?) mentioned recently, USA cows had an
infection problem which was addressed by requiring pasteurization of
dairy, rather than making certain cows are healthy.   :(

Stores have an issue offering raw dairy, because many people don't know
how to handle it after getting it home.  So there is a huge liability
issue and store owners expose themselves to higher overhead (insurance)
or litigious clients simply by carrying these products.  Just about
anyone could claim they got ill from raw dairy products and cause
endless problems for the owner.  We purchase it for our co-op but are
selective about who we sell such items to.

regards, roberta