Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Feb 1998 18:28:45 -0700
Enhanced IDE provides for a Primary and Secondary channal
for the IDE interface.   Then you break each channel into two
drives or a Master and a slave.  Hence you have the ability to
have four IDE drives.   If you have one hard drive, it should be
placed on the Primary channel as a Master drive.  You can place
a CD Rom drive as the Slave on this channel.  Then the Secondary
is vacant and can be disabled.

However...  if you have multiple hard drives and/or CD Rom drives
you may use both channels.   If you have three hard drives and
a CD Rom drive, you would put two drives on the Primary as
Master & Slave.  You would then put the third hard drive and the
CD Rom drive on the Secondary channel as Master & Slave.

Most motherboards today have two connectors for IDE drives.
One is the Primary & the other is the Secondary.  You attach
a standard IDE ribbon cable to each connector and then it has
two drive connectors on the cable.

If you only have a one or two drives...  they can both be on the
Primary channel.  Then you can disable the secondary.

The conflict you mentioned should be examined.  IRQ 14 & 15
should be assigned to these channels.  You should also
examine what memory address these channels are seeking.
No other device should be requesting an address commonly
used by your IDE controllers.

   Bob