Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Dean Kukral <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Feb 1998 09:00:00 -0600
-----Original Message-----
From: W.R.(Bill) Boulton <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: [PCBUILD] New Hard Drive setup probs

>         I just bought a 6.4 Fujitsu HDD. Bios auto detects it no prob
>jumpered as master or slave, but then the system doesn't "see" it anymore !

I recently had a similar problem.  I was building an essentially new pc, and
I was using a dos 7 boot floppy trying to fdisk the new 6.4 WD drive.  Fdisk
would seem to run ok, but when I re-started my computer, the os would not
see the drive for formatting purposes, but it would see it to run fdisk!  I
do
not know what was wrong - perhaps a defective boot disk.  I finally ran
fdisk from a hard drive with W95 on it (temporarily installed) and then
it was ok.

I also noticed that my system had trouble recognizing the drive when it
was set as a slave to the cd, but was fine if it was the master.

None of this may be relevant to your exact situation, but I was convinced
that the new drive was defective and about ready to return it, when
I finally got it to work.  Someone else may have an explanation for all
this.

Dean

Dean Kukral
Dept. of Mathematics and Statistics
Wichita State University

PS: the above signature is always put at the start of
my replies by IE4.  If someone can tell me how to make
it append it to the bottom, please let me know
by emailing to me at the above address.  TIA