Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Feb 1998 12:20:44 -0700
At 05:00 PM 2/27/98 +0100, you wrote:
>Hello All
>
>I am considering upgrading soon. I want to go upto 128 ram from 64 and
>upgrade my processor from the P166 I have now. I am laso considering a new
>(bigger) harddrive.
> My Questions are:
>
>1. I have seen in a few PC mags the 'dual pentium' MOBO's. Is it be possible
>to get a MOBO that will accept 2 standard Pentium processors?

Yes...  they often are used in servers.  There are a couple of
companies that sell them.

>2. Is it possible to use a combination of a standard P166 and say a P200mmx?
>and would that give a processor of speed of 366 or is there more to it than
>that?

No.  The processors do not function this way.  In a dual processor board
the two (2) processors must be matched.  They do not become twice as
fast, but rather they will do twice the number of calculations...  or in the
instance of a server it allows them to do twice the work on one motherboard.
It normally is a waste as a client machine, (personal computer), unless you
are using a processing intensive application such as a CAD program or
other upscale graphics application.

>3. Who makes this type of MOBO? and approximate cost?

TYAN makes such boards.  I have built numerous servers using
the TYAN Tomcat series.  The current version is Tomcat IV,
model #S1564D.   They usually cost between $175 to $225.
Their web site is:  http://www.tyan.com

>4. At present I have 4 x 16 Simm in 4 sockets. Is it possible to attach
>these to some form of an adaptor then I can double them up as a 32 then I
>could use the other 2 sockets for 2 new 32's?

The Tomcat board has eight (8) 72 pin simms slots. However, besure
the memory is all matched.    These dual processor boards are real
touchy about memory matching.  I have seen some odd errors from
memory mismatches with these boards.

>5. I am looking for quite a large hardrive (around 6 gig). There are so many
>to choose from I'm lost. Any recommendations will be welcome.

Brand names do count for something with hard drives.  JTS has been
a real dog for me.  I bought a case of them last year and I had a 100%
failure rate with them after nine months.  However, Seagate has always
been a great brand with a low failure rate...  then I would rank Maxtor
and Western Digital.  All three are top of the line...

I hope this helps

   Bob