Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Dennis Thiel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Apr 1998 17:55:56 -0400
EB Krager wrote:

> In a message dated 4/27/98, 9:41:32 AM, [log in to unmask] writes:
> <<For everyone's information...I've had trouble with Abit boards when I
> used brass standoffs on all the holes. I had to use plastic standoffs on
> all but one hole to get it to work. I was told by a technician where I
> bought it that this is a quirk of the Abit boards>>
>
> What Trouble have you been having???
>
> Tim Losberg

  I experienced several lockups, a plethora of error messages that I'd never seen
before and I don't remember what they were. I never could get through the Win95
setup. I bought 2 boards and I finally got one working but not the other one so I
sent it back. The board was Abit AX-5 with an AMD K6 233. This was my first and
last experience with Abit boards. I'm sure someone will tell me how great they
are, but to coin a phrase, "once bitten, twice shy". No matter how good the board
is performance-wise, if I have to spend several frustrating hours (days), and
jump through hoops to get it to work, it's not worth it to me. I don't have much
confidence in a product if I have that much trouble from the start. And I know
that computers are extremely complex machines and you're going to have problems
from time to time, but this has been my experience and it's tainted my attitude
towards Abit. I've yet to have a single problem installing an Asus board, so I'll
stick with them.

Denny