Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Fri, 17 Apr 1998 06:24:10 -0700
From:
"Lance W. Kephart" <[log in to unmask]>
Sender:
>My communication software, Commit, was never
>able to locate the modem.  The documentation
>stated the modem required Windows 3.1 or 95.

What is the modem brand?

If memory serves me correctly, Commit is a
DOS based program, so it won't recognize
anything that requires Windows.  If your modem
docs state that it requires some form of
Windows, then it probably has a software driver.

Most modems like that have a driver that
you can install and load for DOS as well.  I
don't care for them much.

My choice is to always go with a modem that
uses jumpers to set the comm port.  That way
any program (DOS or otherwise) will see it.
Your only other choice would be to find a
shareware communications program for Windows,
or buy one.

>Is this a requirement for some modems
>(hardware)?  Or does the packaged software
>require windows?

Yes, there are some modems (Boca comes to
mind) that require a software driver to be
loaded in order for it to work.  You might
want to talk to the local shop you purchased
it at and see about getting one that uses
jumpers to set the card up as a comm port
instead of software.

>The floppy drive I brought home was half
>the size of my case's available bay (not a
>real problem), had pin connectors (my date
>cables connect to something more closely
>resembling a card), and the power cable
>connection was of a different size than
>exists in my system.

Go to your local shop and tell them what you
need.  Or take the old cable with you and see
if they can give you the correct one.  They
should also have a "Y" adapter, or an adapter
that changes your power cable to the kind you
need.

Hoped I helped a little!