RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Peter Brandt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Aug 1997 21:05:06 -0500
Jack:
>[Jack Lovell]  I knew a sheep farmer in South Africa 30 years ago who
>used to mix raw sheeps eyes with a bowl of grits. I was amazed then and
>am amazed at your ability too. This one is not for me.

Jack, welcome to the list. I only had a few small bites of each so I was
really not that heroic. If I at our next potluck eat the eye of a tuna
which I understand is about the size of an orange then it might be a
different story. ;-)

Lynton:
>bones? what do you do with them, or is it just for marrow?

Except for fish bones which can be eaten, the bones are for the marrow,
cartilage and tendon.

>I don't know if he is referring to intestinal worms, or organ worms.  If
>intestinal, then the reason that there are no worms in regular meats is that
>they are poisoned off, not that its better quality.  If they didn't poison
>them you wouldn't be able to count them.  All animals have these worms to
>some extent - I have heard it said that sheep die if they have no worms !

Interesting. He did not mention organ worms but I will ask him when I see
him again.

>Another point about the difference between regular meats and the excellent
>organic meats (there being different qualities of organic) is noticable to
>me when I walk into the two shops.  One smells repulsive, the organic shop (
>hardly know it a butcher shop!

I have spoken with him since and he has made some clarifications. He never
eats pork or any organs from pigs and the only beef he will eat is
Coleman's - organic cattle organs are generally not available. He avoids
commercial foods from these animals as they are rarely allowed any natural
feed and often are fed a lot of antibiotics and hormones. Goats and sheep
on the other hand he argues are raised more naturally so even if they are
commercially fed they are OK to eat.

>I don;t know about fish very much, but I've heard that the parasites migrate
>from the gut to the flesh. What's this? They move the _other_way???
>Where can I find out more info on this?

I am a little confused myself. He referred to the "Dutch Green Fish Laws"
that supposedly dictate that fish have to be gutted at sea just after being
caught. He says that when first hearing about these laws he called the
Dutch Embassy and got the story confirmed. I admit it does sound a little
fishy :-) but if I find out more I will let you know.

>I would love to come, but so far away!  Good luck with the pot luck ;)

Thanks! I will consider you there in spirit.:-)

Stefan:
>Peter, it seems, that not I am the one who needs more RAF stuff on this list,
>but y o u !

So you think that lets you off the hook. :-)

>Still I don't believe, that LA RAF has been real.

Your grip on reality is obviously deteriorating which I understand is a
clear sign of chronic deficiency in ROF's (raw organ foods). ;-) :-)

>I can't imagine an instinctive eater who doesn't chew and eats a high
>percentage of commercial meat without deteriorating his health. The
>commmercially available meat in the U.S. is the worst of the world.
>It should quickly bring him down.

See my response to Lynton above. My organ friend says he has been eating
raw organs for twenty years - he went all-raw 8 years ago - and claims that
with the exceptions above the healing powers of these foods are so powerful
that they easily override any possible side effects. As for his not chewing
his foods he is not actually recommending other people to do this - when
swallowing whole anchovies the fins can easily get caught in the throat he
warns. I will ask more about his chewing habits at our next meeting. If
looks mean anything, he is in his late fifties, looks 15 years younger and
seems to be in great shape. He has been giving free nutritional counseling
for over twenty years mostly to poor immigrant workers and to peasants on
his travels to Mexico. He educates people by having them sit in front of
him and watch him eat the ROF's and says that if they do this, they will
acquire a taste for these foods. Like you he believes he the transition is
much easier if the ROF's and RAF'S are eaten whole according to instinct.
If somebody has a heart condition he will give them raw heart (or whatever
their instincts guide them to), if arthritis, raw cartilage and so on and
claims that when following this protocol, people will see results very
fast. He considers ROF's the most powerful healing foods on the planet.

He eats raw organs in the quantities he does he says because he loves and
craves them and because he feels they help him deal better with the effects
of some chemical poisoning he was exposed to some years back. He freezes
the organs because he either buys them in quantity or buys the animals
whole and for people new to ROF's, he recommends that they freeze them for
three to four days before eating them to kill off any parasites. He reckons
that only veteran ROFFERS have the immune systems and stomach acids to be
able to deal with these critters appropriately. According to him children
just love ROF's and will grab any opportunity to eat their fill of them. He
thinks that for the average person a diet 25-30% ROF would be excellent
with the rest RAF's, RPF's (raw plant foods) and some cooked foods. He
considers refined carbohydrates to be the worst foods anybody can consume.
He is of the opinion that man is not meant to eat plant foods but admits
that due to social conditioning, it is not feasible for most people to do
without them. So far this is the only weak point I have found in his
presentation along with his arguing that an almost exclusive ROF diet is
the best way to deal with chronic chemical poisoning. I told him I thought
that some green foods might do him some good as they are powerful
chelaters. His response was that they also chelate the good minerals out of
the body and claimed to have several references to back it up. One
reference was a book (title unknown to me at this point) by  two MD
brothers both by the name of Garland. (Putnam Books)

Overall, I am pretty impressed by him and feel he speaks with great
authority and experience on the issue of ROF's. He is not on the internet
but gives free advice on ROF eating on the phone and if anybody on this
list has any questions for him, I am sure he would be pleased to oblige. If
interested let me know through private email, and I will ask him if it is
OK for me to pass on his number to you.

Best, Peter