RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Peter Brandt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Aug 1997 03:41:04 -0500
Kirt:
>Wow, Peter, you seem pretty dedicated to RAF if you were able to try these
>foods even against your "conditioning". Congrats. Could you summarize the
>other folks' reaction to their (perhaps) first taste of organs? Perhaps
>Aajonus' clients had a big taste for them (being theoretically "overloaded"
>on flesh and dairy)?

And I forgot to mention tasting the raw heart.;-) In order not to overwhelm
us our organ eater left his supply of tuna eyes and dried organs at home
but has promised to bring them to the next meeting. Surprisingly, only one
person besides myself really got into tasting these foods. When it comes to
RAF eating, whole foods means eating the whole animal and it was a very
liberating experience to see somebody at such ease with eating the foods
that very likely have been pivotal for the development of our species. He
is possibly the only white man alive on the planet today having these
whole, ancestral foods as a substantial part of his diet - and in their
raw, natural state to boot.

Peter:
>>He eats instinctively, rarely chews his foods

Kirt:
>A contradiction in terms maybe ;) So he scarfs the stuff down like the
>whole anchovy? What sort of amounts does he eat?

I am not sure but I know he does not deprive himself. His stops are very
strong. He described how his stomach would reach up and "grab" the whole
anchovy when he had a taste for them. I believe that some paleodieters as
well downplay the importance of chewing animals foods.

>I assume he doesn't like worms then. ;)

Correct. He believes that the more worms the less healthy the animal.

Peter:
>>Regarding fish he says that fish should NOT be gutted
>>just after being caught so any parasites in the fish are allowed to travel
>>from the muscles to the guts.

Kirt:
>Does he eat the guts of larger fish?

I think only very rarely. I asked him this question but have forgotten his
exact answer.

>Is he "wanting" to avoid the parasites by doing this?

Yes. Today I asked the fisherman at our local farmer's market about gutting
the fish just after being caught and he agreed that this approach could
prevent parasites from leaving the muscle. He also said it was a trade-off
because the fish derived some of their good flavor from the acidity of the
guts.

Peter:
>>About half of those attending the potluck were on different versions of
>>Aajonus' diet.

Kirt:
>And how did they seem to be doing?

Not bad but IMO not that good either. Putting on un-wanted weight seems to
be a problem
for many following his diet.

>How many folks were there in total?

We were a small but lively crowd of eight spending up to eight stimulating
hours in each other's company.

> Not all "three thousand" of his clients I assume. ;)

If you take off a zero, I think you will get a more realistic estimate of
the number of his clients.;-)

Peter:
>>The argument was made by several that in serious cases of
>>arthritis and other immuno-disorders especially if caused by severe
>>chemical toxicity that a diet high in raw dairy and raw muscle meat such as
>>Aajonus recommends would not be the optimal diet and that one high in raw
>>cartilage, marrow and organs would be preferable being the ultimate form of
>>live cell therapy. Aajonus is more conservative in recommending organ meats
>>as he is concerned with too many toxins being concentrated in them.

Kirt:
>These were Aajanus' clients arguing this?

No, these arguments were made after a couple of the more dedicated
followers of Aajonus had left. Though, I know that Aajonus does recommend
for some of his clients to eat liver or bone marrow once a week

>I bet. I'm happy that you have found such support. Might you post this on
>the paleo-list as well? Or if you are not subbed to that list, might I?

Good idea. I will post it on Paleofood.

Peter:
>The main attraction of the potluck was a long time raw food eater (eight
>years on a diet consisting of 95% raw organs)

Kirt:
>What is the other 5% of his diet?

Mainly muscle RAF's. Once in a blue moon a little plant food, honey or raw
cheese. He obviously is doing very well on his present diet but would IMO
still do better with some more plant foods in his diet.

>Who organized the event? Aajonus?

I did. It was held in my garden.

>Did the main attraction appear to enjoy the attention?

I think so. He has encountered a fair amount of hostility as his diet
offends the sensitivities of some people, and he has held a low profile
doing very little to promote it.

>Did Aajonus seem threatened at all by his experience?

Aajonus did not attend though they have met a couple of times - without
discussing their differences of opinion.

>Any other psych stuff which your xray vision picked up on would be
>interesting ;)

It has become clearer to me how the idea that 'the better the diet the more
balanced the mind' is a truth with modifications which is why I find it
very heartening when a raw vegan, who has been helping his mother overcome
terminal cancer by having her go on Aajonus' diet, attended our potluck
without a flinch.

Best, Peter