RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Rex Harrill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Nov 1998 18:30:47 -0500
Sandy Rzetelny wrote:

> I know you also talk about brix and ripeness of produce as being
> important.Could you please elaborate. Where could I find books/ newletters
> about brix, ripeness importance etc.?

Thanks for your interest, Sandy.

Brix simply refers to evaluating fruits & veggies from a quality point of view.
Brix (another name for the soluble solids in plant juices) is measured with a
simple USD$100 hand refractometer (which is found in almost all scientific
labs).  Those who actually get one, test the various fruits and veggies they
consume, and realize the junk they've been eating, quickly start demanding
higher quality produce.

Most of what I could tell you has been discussed on this list and a retelling
would bore the long-term members.  It may be best for you to go to the Raw-Food
archives and plug "Brix" into the search engine.  There are 50 or so posts that
earlier discussed the pros and cons of evaluating by Brix...

 http://maelstrom.stjohns.edu/CGI/wa.exe?S1=raw-food

Why not look a few of those over and then ask any questions you may have.

Regards,
Rex Harrill