RAW-FOOD Archives

Raw Food Diet Support List

RAW-FOOD@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Elnora Van Winkle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Nov 1998 04:54:16 -0800
re: mercury-- it was posted
> Dear friends,
>
> I'm writing at the request of Manis at Pangaia in Hawaii.  Manis has been
> eating instinctively for many years, and has experienced many unresolved
> health crises and chronic conditions over the years.  Through a recent
> hair analysis, he believes he has tracked down the problem and wants to
> alert others to his discoveries.  He considers this to be VERY important
> information for anyone who eats fish (raw or cooked).
>
> Mani's hair analysis showed HIGH levels of mercury.  The high end of the
> normal reference range was 1.5 (that's one and a half, not 15), and
> Manis' test result was 16.  After Manis got his results, Ano was tested,
> and his came out at 13.54.  After over a month of full-time research and
> investigation into all the possible dietary, dental, and environmental
> factors that could be implicated in these findings, Manis is now
> convinced that the mercury toxicity is due to the large amounts (5 pounds
> a week) of raw fish (mostly ahi) that both he and Ano have been consuming
> over the past few years (Manis even longer than Ano).

I've been eating about 3 lb. wild raw fish a week, off and on, during
the past three years, mostly salmon from Alaska, tuna from Trinidad,
mackeral from New England, oysters from Nova Scotia and Cape Cod. I sent
in a hair sample, and it showed low mercury. It sounds like Manis'
problem, if fish, is local fish.

My best, Ellie